In August of this year the Corpse flower, Amorphophallus titanum, bloomed at the Denver Botanic Gardens. This is a sequence of photos of the process I used in creating this drawing using graphite and carbon dust.
The initial contour drawing on Strathmore 500 series semi-smooth bristle
I began by brushing on carbon dust to establish some soft light to middle values. Then I started to draw in the details of the folds of the blossom with an F graphite pencil.
I continued adding carbon dust for the soft shading followed by graphite for the details of the folds.
The upper-most part of the blossom is mostly carbon dust.
The finished piece with labeling,
This is the contour drawing transferred onto Strathmore 500 series 2 ply bristle velum surface.
The next step was to establish all the tonal values with a relatively medium-hard grade graphite, in this case a Staedtler Mars # H.
This is the finished drawing after the darkest tones were refined using a softer/darker grade graphite, a #HB and #2B blended and smoothed with the #H
This is a series of photos showing my process of sketching a study of a thistle This is the subject.
This is a series of photos showing the sequence of steps I use in developing a finished botanical plate in graphite.
This is an illustration of seed pods from an Australian Bottle tree. I did this drawing in graphite on paper from a specimen I collected while visiting some friends in Phenix, AR.
This is a drawing of a Swainson’s Hawk in a cottonwood tree, graphite on bristol paper, 9″ x16″.
This is an illustration of the common mullein plant that was part of the Healing Plants show at the Parker Adventist Hospital in Parker, CO. I did this piece in colored pencil over graphite on paper, 10″ x 14″.